MCR Writing Tips
The following bits of advice were prepared by the Conference Editor as guidelines for submitting stories and photos to Conference Publications, but they also apply well to stories and photos that are to be submitted to local media. These are some great tips for anyone looking to submit stories for the Review.
- Only put one space at the end of a sentence.
- Do not use tab or spaces for paragraph indents. This will be automatically formatted.
- Do not skip a line between paragraphs.
- Save files in rich text format (.rtf extension).
- Try to briefly state the main point of story (ie: The budget was approved with a 2 percent increase…) somewhere in the first couple paragraphs of the story.
- If possible, provide contact information at the end of the story so people who are interested can find out more.
- Check name spellings.
- Use spell-check functions, but also proofread.
- Be as specific as possible. Use dates, numbers and names when known.
- Be accurate. Verify information you are not sure about.